Monday, August 12, 2013

Poetic Bönhamn


The southern wind had ceased during the night as we left Ulvön. Exit from between the south and north islands where the marinas are located will be its own post, the passage is very narrow and as such an excitement and new experience itself. 

Yesterday's waves were still there, coming from west side exit from Ulvön harbour is kind of end of a bag where the waves from all the length from Bothnian Sea meet the land. So we got some nice swinging. The crew was concerned if I would get sea sick but you know there is a reason why I have chosen the front cabin  floor being my position in the vessel during seagoing - to me it feels the most stabile one. As the crew had anchored the vessel I gracefully emerged from my travel cabin for a snack. The crew was left wondering that if I am a such a strong sea cat who cannot be disturbed by some minor water movements.

Bönhamn, oh, Bönhamn is just like the harbors are in the poetics. The stormy sea is taming gradually as the  harbor gets closer and when the ship enters the gates of the pool the water is calm, the wind delivers the warm scent of forest and the sun creates silvery lining to the dark clouds passing away. Entry to Bönhamn is a route between the fast land and small islands isolating it from open sea and nothing less than the mighty lighthouse of Högbonden guides the sailor approaching from the sea. 

The marina is convenient for a visiting sailor. The neat facilities are right at the guest pier, the cafe is excellent to treat the crew (what I elaborate later) and there is a nice path with super-lovely views around the mountain behind the pier. The crew swimming was also good in clear and 16C refreshing water. Note to a reader, I did not swim. Also if you really want to have time to yourself you can send your crew to Högbonden visit as the connection boat has a stop at the cafe. And to myself there was so much to see. In this harbor the guest marina is a side business and the real life goes on. Fishing boats coming and going, seagulls in search of a treat from the fish cleaning, children playing in the water, dogs, more birds... I can say looking after this all kept me entertained and busy. 

To conclude I believe Bönhamn will be a strong contestant in my Top 3 Destinations for 2013 competition, in both categories, crew's and my own selections. 

Start of the path.



The poetic entry.



Island of Högbonden.




No comments:

Post a Comment