Sunday, September 23, 2012

Wrapping up the season

This weekend was season's last leisure weekend on board, kind of weekend when you can let the wind tell you the direction and schedule. Now it's time to prepare for the winter, starting with unrigging.

This late in season the winds are heavy and frequent and we were lucky to have calm saturday morning. We ventured into new waters and visited GSF club harbor in Norra Hamnskär. It is located between few small islands and was so beautiful in fall colors. As wind started to raise its power we could not stay over night but only for lunch. Couple of swans landed behind the island, to have their lunch break just like we did, on their migration flight to south.

We were treated by nature with an other graceful view, an eagle made his rounds above us and the islands.

My crew provided me with disturbing information about eagles.  First, that they have larger claws than I have. I have substantial claws, for example my thumb claw measures 12 mm by 5 mm, at least.  And second, that eagles may take cats. With these, still unconfirmed, facts I considered best to continue my early afternoon nap down below. As I slept my crew handled the vessel to Tankar and we spent the evening and night safely pocketed in Tankar in the lull of the wind.

Pah, was it eagle? They are not any ornithologists...











No comments:

Post a Comment