Saturday, December 1, 2012

Top 3 moments of the last summer - Crew's No 2a

Its the crew's turn to announce their first runner-up, the Seskarö sands. There are the two famous park-head-in-to-beach locations, Sammakkalahti and Sorttisviken. I can tell you dear reader that I get to hear regularly my crew raving about these locations, so impressed they are about them. And I agree it is a new perspective for myself too.

First some pics on Sammakkalahti. The sand bank over water is actually quite small. When arriving from the opening from the north we had to come close to see the sand, this mini-peninsula,  even with binoculars. The profile of the sand formation is wedge-like. The southern side of the bank is actually the one to moor into and it declines steeply. While moored the vessel depth measurements went gaga and showed fast changing digits between 5 to 7 meters. Maybe this was a technical anomaly rather than actual measurement, assumedly caused by the steepness or some debris. The northern side of the peninsula is very shallow and it gets the depth again slowly. Here is link to air view. In the first two pics you can see by carefully looking little buoys indicating the shallowness. In addition of the geographical uniqueness the thing my crew is so impressed about is the concept of being able to go down the ladder in the bow and set one's feet on sand. Bare feet on warm sand. Possible use the summer warm water (18C) to wash off any of it before climbing to the boat. This thought puts smile on my crew's faces specially in today's weather conditions of -8C without any snow.

I still would like to add that I do not put my feet in to water and that I do not dream about it. I rather post my own first runner-up once the crew has finished with the Seskarö sands; Sorttisviken will be posted next.






No comments:

Post a Comment