Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Lessons about life in Häggvik - Part 2 (how to look after a crew member with sprained ankle)


I had a situation to manage. The captain was off to non-nautical duties and away from the vessel. And the first mate was incapacitated, suffering the sprained ankle. This was really the most demanding case I have met during my career as a sea cat indeed. The first mate was lucky because the injury was medium serious case meaning that she could use her right leg even the moving was difficult. However we concentrated resting in the cockpit and keeping the first mate leg in rest position on the pillows. I like hanging around at the bow when moored but now I knew walking was very difficult to the first mate so I decided to stay in the cockpit with her.

Those few days spent waiting for the captain, instead of doing excursions and enjoying rest as planned,  were long days but I managed well to support the first mate and help her taking care of the boat and the daily routines. I looked after her sleep and if there were some noises outside I woke up to check that everything was OK and notified the first mate too. Two Sundsvall boats with very nice crews,  twoSigma and Racoon,  were moored next to our vessel. We learned many new details about sailing in Högä Kusten and I could see the discussions cheered up the first mate.

The captain returned earlier than planned, due to the first mate ankle situation, on Wednesday morning. We could not wait as the weather seemed perfect for the passage to Vaasa archipelago. We prepared as soon we could and off we were for 16 hour sailing to Rönskär! Goodbye Höga Kusten, see you next time!

...

As of early September the ankle improves every day. The biking has started, but no running yet. The first mate is hopeful to start skiing season in time.





No comments:

Post a Comment